OEC’s Top 10 Achievements for 2010-2011
OEC's top 10 accomplishments from 2010-2011
- Transportation is greener. We helped secure legislation that spurs climate-friendly urban planning and clears barriers to an innovative peer-to-peer car-sharing program in Oregon, which will decrease car ownership and pollution by allowing owners to rent their vehicles to their neighbors.
- Our air will be cleaner. We helped broker the closure of the Boardman coal-fired power plant—the state’s single largest emitter of greenhouse gases—20 years earlier than originally planned. Closing Boardman by 2020 will prevent the release of over 80 million tons of carbon dioxide, the equivalent of taking 14 million cars off the road for an entire year!
- Oregon’s food is more sustainable. We supported local, healthier food systems by helping farmers adopt sustainable practices. For example, we assisted cranberry growers on the South Coast launch a sustainable brand, Clearwater Cranberries, linking those farmers with buyers and demonstrating that growing sustainably makes sense for the environment and the bottom line.
- Oregon schools are healthier. We protected children and created green jobs for Oregonians through legislation that spurs energy efficiency upgrades in schools, creating healthier classrooms and savings on utility costs in all corners of the state.
- The agricultural community is reducing its carbon footprint. We partnered with 20% of Oregon’s wineries and nurseries to adopt climate-friendly practices and helped establish the first certification program nationwide for carbon reduction in the wine industry.
- We’ve moved upstream to prevent pollution. OEC catalyzed green chemistry initiatives by convening the Oregon Green Chemistry Advisory Group to develop and pursue safer, less toxic manufacturing practices.
- Rivers are on the rise. We empowered Oregonians to take charge of water pollution through monthly Love Your River online challenges and educational workshops on stormwater solutions and rain garden management.
- We’ve armed Oregonians with information to defend against toxics. OEC developed a comprehensive Eco- Healthy Homes Checkup Kit to protect families from harmful chemicals, and distributed thousands of copies around the state.
- Oregon’s environmental community has a strong voice. We stood our ground in Salem, forwarding and passing protective public policies while simultaneously defeating harmful bills and draconian environmental budget cuts. Even in the face of challenging fiscal and partisan climates, OEC remains committed to ensuring Oregon’s elected leaders’ view environmental progress and economic prosperity as one and the same.
- And we’re more social than ever before. We’ve been spreading the OEC word through Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn, engaging thousands of Oregonians with practical tips, environmental news and the latest updates on critical legislative issues.