A Sustainable Economy
Why We Care
A sustainable economy is one in which our resources are not used up faster than nature renews them and benefits are shared equitably. Profitability is the product of thriving ecosystems and communities. Our shared assets are not sacrificed for short term profit.
Pursuing sustainability has grown from the work of a few idealists to being a mainstream concept. The concept of sustainability has become a driver for a new generation of products and business practices.
The Oregon Environmental Council envisions Oregon as a model in developing local, more sustainable businesses and industries. We believe the concept of sustainability represents a powerful, emerging innovation platform.
Oregon can lead the way in profitable, exportable technologies in sectors like green building and renewable energy as well as fields like green chemistry and engineering.
What We Do
OEC supports the growth of Oregon businesses by promoting policies and economic development strategies that foster sustainability.
- OEC is leading the development and implementation of policies that support the use of green chemistry to design safer alternatives to hazardous chemicals
- We're strengthening demand for more sustainable products through our Healthy Purchasing Initiative
- We promote a sustainable biofuels industry and advocate for low-carbon fuels
- Via our past Forum for Business & the Environment series, OEC has educated businesses about emerging sustainable industry clusters, businesses and opportunities to influence policy
- We work closely with the Governor’s office, business leaders and elected officials to effectively integrate the concept of sustainability into Oregon's regulatory framework
OEC helps organizations choose more environmentally responsible practices and catalyze demonstration projects.
- Through our collaborations with nurseries and wineries, we're helping reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- The Eco-Healthy Childcare certification, now a national program, has helped hundreds of childcare businesses protect children's health
- Our Safer Alternatives Assistance project is helping to build Oregon's capacity to find and use safer alternatives to toxic chemicals
- We guide businesses down a simple path to reducing their carbon footprint through an online guide