See how OEC is working to ensure that Oregonians live, learn & play in toxic-free environments.
Why We Care
We all deserve healthy, safe environments.
Oregonians are exposed to harmful chemicals through air, water, food and products in our homes and buildings. Exposure to toxic chemicals contributes to a range of chronic diseases and disabilities.
Infants and children are particularly vulnerable to toxic pollution. Oregon’s people of color, indigenous and low-income communities often bear a greater burden of toxic chemical exposure.
What We Do
We create lasting collaborative solutions.
Oregon Environmental Council (OEC) fosters healthy, safe environments by reducing toxics where we live, work and play. We focus on chemicals that pose the greatest threats to the health of Oregon’s people and environment. By making our top priority to protect people from birth through adolescence, we achieve the greatest health benefits for all Oregonians.
Policy: lasting change
- Toxics Disclosure for Healthy Kids Act: We are forwarding state-level legislation requiring manufacturers to disclose and eventually remove toxic chemicals of concern from children's products.
- Healthy purchasing policies: We encourage local and state governments to make purchasing decisions that avoid chemicals of concern.
Business: Leading by example
OEC works with leaders to show how reducing toxics can be good for business and professionals.
- Green chemistry: OEC brings business, academic and policy experts together to spur the design of products and processes with fewer toxic hazards.
- Engaging Health Professionals: OEC convenes the Oregon Chapter of the Collaborative for Health and the Environment to connect health professionals to one another. We also organize the annual Northwest Environmental Health Conference.
How You Can Get Involved
- Online action: "Like" our BPA-Free Oregon Facebook page to stay informed about the latest news and actions they can take to weigh in on decisions to reduce toxics in our state.
- Community action: Host an OEC presentation in your community or at your workplace to share information about reducing toxics in our lives.
- Member action: Become a donating member to support our toxic-free Oregon vision
Publications and Resources
Pollution in People
Healthy Homes Checkup