FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Oregon Association of Nurseries and Oregon Environmental Council to announce Climate Friendly Nurseries project launchAug 13, 2009
For More Information:
Oregon Environmental Council
Jeremy Graybill, Communications Director
503-222-1963 ext. 111
Oregon Association of Nurseries
Elizabeth Peters, Director of Communications
PORTLAND, Ore.—August 13, 2009—The Oregon Association of Nurseries and the Oregon Environmental Council will be hosting a press conference and Q&A to announce the launch of the first-of-its-kind Climate Friendly Nurseries project next Thursday, Aug. 20 at the Farwest trade show at the Portland Convention Center. Speakers and guests will be available for interviews.
The nursery industry is the largest sector of Oregon agriculture. This partnership will be a three-year coordinated effort to measure greenhouse gas emissions and identify practices and strategies to reduce energy use and costs in nursery production. It is the goal of the partnership to support a healthy environment and promote practices that will help Oregon nurseries be more profitable. More information can be found at www.climatefriendlynurseries.org.
• Oregon Congressman Kurt Schrader – speaking about the Federal view of the project’s impact
• Oregon Governor Ted Kulongoski – on why Oregon leads in sustainability
• Katy Coba - Executive Director, Oregon Department of Agriculture (ODA)
• Gary Furr - General Manager, J. Frank Schmidt and Son Nursery – speaking about why they are participating
• Allison Hensey - program director, healthy food and farms, Oregon Environmental Council – why this project is significant from an environmental perspective
• John Aguirre - Executive Director, Oregon Association of Nurseries
Press conference with Q & A
Thursday, August 20 at 9:45 a.m.
On the floor of the 2009 Farwest Show at the Oregon Convention Center, 777 NE ML King Blvd. Portland, OR 97232
Show passes are required; check in at the table outside the show office, room #120 or call Elizabeth Peters, 503-682-5089 by August 19 for a media pass.
GUESTS AVAILABE FOR INTERVIEWS:
• Katy Coba, Oregon Department of Agriculture
• Jim Owen, Oregon State University Extension
• Brad Ouderkirk and Hester Yorgey, Ecos Consulting
• Jim Gilbert, Northwoods Nursery
• Mark Krautmann, Heritage Seedlings
• Allison Hensey, Oregon Environmental Council
• Other participating nurseries
About the Oregon Association of Nurseries
The Oregon Association of Nurseries, based in Wilsonville, represents more than 1,300 wholesale growers, retailers, landscapers and suppliers. Oregon's ornamental horticulture industry is the state's largest agricultural commodity, with annual sales of nearly $1 billion. For information visit www.oan.org or call 503-682-5089.
About the Oregon Environmental Council
The Oregon Environmental Council safeguards what Oregonians love about Oregon – clean air and water, an unpolluted landscape and healthy food produced by local farmers. For 40 years we’ve been a champion for solutions to protect the health of every Oregonian and the health of the place we call home. Our vision for Oregon includes solving global warming, protecting kids from toxics, cleaning up our rivers, building sustainable economies, and ensuring healthy food and local farms. Find out more at www.oecoline.org.